Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Transition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Transition Reply with quote

I'm curious and maybe overthinking things (again!).

After the swim, do you dry off your feet? Just wondering as I'm thinking wet feet and cycling then running is asking for blisters.
antht

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put talc in my shoes, seems to work
TriSam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth getting a little towel to have in T1, which you can stand on while you're faffing around with your helmet/number etc. Does the job most of the time, then talc in the shoes to finish things off nicely
Gus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must confess I don't. I cycle and run without socks and blisters have never been a problem.

By the time I've run into T1, changed into bike kit, feet are pretty much dry anyway.

(having said that, having a devil of a time with Saucony's at the moment when they get wet - really bad blisters for the first time ever....)

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just practice so that you become accustomed to your feet drying out in your cycling shoes...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
kevb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the soles, my feet are usually 'dry' from the run into transition. If it's an event where you have a transition spot, rather than the transition bag situation, a towel is useful on several levels; 1. it gives you a marker for your spot, 2. folded up to about A3 size you should be able to get everything you need for the race on it (if not; you have too much stuff!) 3. you can cover your shoes if it's raining, or likely to: 4. you can use it to wipe sand/mud off your feet, which is likely to cause discomfort if you're wearing socks or bare-foot....
Turns out the Hitch-Hiker's Guide was right!
fruit thief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found I don't need dry feet. After all, I don't get blisters when it rains or if I run through puddles.

And I think there is economy in keeping things simple so I just take six things into transition:

1) sunglasses
2) number belt
3) helmet
4) bike with talced shoes clipped in
5) left running shoe, talced
6) right running shoe, talced

For half ironman or longer I'd wear socks too.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevb wrote:
Apart from the soles, my feet are usually 'dry' from the run into transition. If it's an event where you have a transition spot, rather than the transition bag situation, a towel is useful on several levels; 1. it gives you a marker for your spot, 2. folded up to about A3 size you should be able to get everything you need for the race on it (if not; you have too much stuff!) 3. you can cover your shoes if it's raining, or likely to: 4. you can use it to wipe sand/mud off your feet, which is likely to cause discomfort if you're wearing socks or bare-foot....

*tut* not on my TO watch.... Wink

if you are using a towel - place it alongside your bike behind the frontmost part of the front wheel - that way it's not marking your spot and you won't incur my wrath... Laughing
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transition Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
I'm curious and maybe overthinking things (again!).

After the swim, do you dry off your feet? Just wondering as I'm thinking wet feet and cycling then running is asking for blisters.

I did originally, but not so bothered these days.

Especially if your shoes are on the bike and you run bare foot to the mount point.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
kevb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
kevb wrote:

if you are using a towel - place it alongside your bike behind the frontmost part of the front wheel - that way it's not marking your spot and you won't incur my wrath... Laughing

Yup, point taken, I kind of meant to say to define 'your' transition area; although a day-glo towel laid as you've described never hurts Wink

My wife is a TO too, and just as harsh as you I expect Smile
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoes clipped in or not? Does it save much time in transition to have shoes clipped onto the pedals? I have been practicing a little and find it really tricky to get my feet in my shoes on the move.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Shoes clipped in or not? Does it save much time in transition to have shoes clipped onto the pedals? I have been practicing a little and find it really tricky to get my feet in my shoes on the move.

yes..but only if you practise regularly and become skilled at it..

what part are you having difficulty with?

de-risk it by practising on your turbo to get the process nailed first, then leave your shoes on your bike all year round so that you have to do it every time you ride...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
just practice so that you become accustomed to your feet drying out in your cycling shoes...

Except in an Ironman of course, when they get wet again from time to time.
The_Exile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
kevb wrote:

I accidentally (not sarcasm, it actually was an accident) went overboard putting talc in my shoes in transition at the Ripon Oly tri a few years back. It went everywhere. The big white mark on the grass was a great help when runnign along a rack of 500+ bikes Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: