Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Transition
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Roscoemck




Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 157
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Transition Reply with quote

I'm curious and maybe overthinking things (again!).

After the swim, do you dry off your feet? Just wondering as I'm thinking wet feet and cycling then running is asking for blisters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
antht




Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Posts: 798
Location: West Midlands

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put talc in my shoes, seems to work
_________________
http://thetrinerd.co.uk - The Tri Nerd, my Triathlon Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TriSam




Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 1122
Location: Tunbridge Wells

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth getting a little towel to have in T1, which you can stand on while you're faffing around with your helmet/number etc. Does the job most of the time, then talc in the shoes to finish things off nicely
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2170
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must confess I don't. I cycle and run without socks and blisters have never been a problem.

By the time I've run into T1, changed into bike kit, feet are pretty much dry anyway.

(having said that, having a devil of a time with Saucony's at the moment when they get wet - really bad blisters for the first time ever....)
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 13939
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just practice so that you become accustomed to your feet drying out in your cycling shoes...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kevb




Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the soles, my feet are usually 'dry' from the run into transition. If it's an event where you have a transition spot, rather than the transition bag situation, a towel is useful on several levels; 1. it gives you a marker for your spot, 2. folded up to about A3 size you should be able to get everything you need for the race on it (if not; you have too much stuff!) 3. you can cover your shoes if it's raining, or likely to: 4. you can use it to wipe sand/mud off your feet, which is likely to cause discomfort if you're wearing socks or bare-foot....
....
...
Turns out the Hitch-Hiker's Guide was right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fruit thief




Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 2660

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found I don't need dry feet. After all, I don't get blisters when it rains or if I run through puddles.

And I think there is economy in keeping things simple so I just take six things into transition:

1) sunglasses
2) number belt
3) helmet
4) bike with talced shoes clipped in
5) left running shoe, talced
6) right running shoe, talced

For half ironman or longer I'd wear socks too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2273
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevb wrote:
Apart from the soles, my feet are usually 'dry' from the run into transition. If it's an event where you have a transition spot, rather than the transition bag situation, a towel is useful on several levels; 1. it gives you a marker for your spot, 2. folded up to about A3 size you should be able to get everything you need for the race on it (if not; you have too much stuff!) 3. you can cover your shoes if it's raining, or likely to: 4. you can use it to wipe sand/mud off your feet, which is likely to cause discomfort if you're wearing socks or bare-foot....
....
...
Turns out the Hitch-Hiker's Guide was right!


*tut* not on my TO watch.... Wink

if you are using a towel - place it alongside your bike behind the frontmost part of the front wheel - that way it's not marking your spot and you won't incur my wrath... Laughing
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 1941
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transition Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
I'm curious and maybe overthinking things (again!).

After the swim, do you dry off your feet? Just wondering as I'm thinking wet feet and cycling then running is asking for blisters.


I did originally, but not so bothered these days.

Especially if your shoes are on the bike and you run bare foot to the mount point.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kevb




Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
kevb wrote:
Apart from the soles, my feet are usually 'dry' from the run into transition. If it's an event where you have a transition spot, rather than the transition bag situation, a towel is useful on several levels; 1. it gives you a marker for your spot, 2. folded up to about A3 size you should be able to get everything you need for the race on it (if not; you have too much stuff!) 3. you can cover your shoes if it's raining, or likely to: 4. you can use it to wipe sand/mud off your feet, which is likely to cause discomfort if you're wearing socks or bare-foot....
....
...
Turns out the Hitch-Hiker's Guide was right!


*tut* not on my TO watch.... Wink

if you are using a towel - place it alongside your bike behind the frontmost part of the front wheel - that way it's not marking your spot and you won't incur my wrath... Laughing


Yup, point taken, I kind of meant to say to define 'your' transition area; although a day-glo towel laid as you've described never hurts Wink

My wife is a TO too, and just as harsh as you I expect Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roscoemck




Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 157
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 143
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoes clipped in or not? Does it save much time in transition to have shoes clipped onto the pedals? I have been practicing a little and find it really tricky to get my feet in my shoes on the move.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 13939
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Shoes clipped in or not? Does it save much time in transition to have shoes clipped onto the pedals? I have been practicing a little and find it really tricky to get my feet in my shoes on the move.


yes..but only if you practise regularly and become skilled at it..

what part are you having difficulty with?

de-risk it by practising on your turbo to get the process nailed first, then leave your shoes on your bike all year round so that you have to do it every time you ride...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 15630
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
just practice so that you become accustomed to your feet drying out in your cycling shoes...


Except in an Ironman of course, when they get wet again from time to time.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Exile




Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 841
Location: The flat lands out East

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
kevb wrote:
Apart from the soles, my feet are usually 'dry' from the run into transition. If it's an event where you have a transition spot, rather than the transition bag situation, a towel is useful on several levels; 1. it gives you a marker for your spot, 2. folded up to about A3 size you should be able to get everything you need for the race on it (if not; you have too much stuff!) 3. you can cover your shoes if it's raining, or likely to: 4. you can use it to wipe sand/mud off your feet, which is likely to cause discomfort if you're wearing socks or bare-foot....
....
...
Turns out the Hitch-Hiker's Guide was right!


*tut* not on my TO watch.... Wink

if you are using a towel - place it alongside your bike behind the frontmost part of the front wheel - that way it's not marking your spot and you won't incur my wrath... Laughing


I accidentally (not sarcasm, it actually was an accident) went overboard putting talc in my shoes in transition at the Ripon Oly tri a few years back. It went everywhere. The big white mark on the grass was a great help when runnign along a rack of 500+ bikes Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.