Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Fastest 10 mile time trial thread 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, TT's are a great training session if you want to use them as that! I've got a 10 this weekend, but I plan to make it part of a 2x20 minute session. Hopefully will roll up to the start line dribbling after a 20 minute block at FTP, and a few minute of spinning, before riding the 10 miler at FTP or higher
Sopworth

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited knowledge of training for triathlon, I'd pretty much say being a good TT'er is a massive help in the bike leg. I've loved the TT's I've done this season and definitely caught the bug.
I spent over 2 hours adjusting my frontal position yesterday with a mirror in front of me. I need to get a life….
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V718 14/4/17 20:54 TRO Saracen Winner G Fox 18:13
Q10/19 06/5/17 21:10 TriSam Winner ???
G10/42 22/04/17 26:25 Wheezy Winner L. Maybank / P. Wright 19:57
V314 14/05/17 26:46 Chrace Winner D Bramley 22:06

Considering the course I'm ok with that.

I had planned to just drive out to the start, but then my wife found out she needed the car so add 15 miles each way. Might actually have worked in my favor.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Chrace, cracking overall session that would have been.

Agree on the TT's, learnt more about riding a bike (relatively) fast from TT's than anything else. I remember rocking up for my first, and being utterly shocked at how fast everyone else coming past was, and also what 'good' on a bike looks compared to what I had seen before.

I vowed to learn how to ride a bike like that; and to get fast enough to be least MOP in TT's.

Really love the sport now, and I can easily see me slipping into it full time once the knees give out for running and/or I (finally) get fed up with ploughing up and down a boring swimming pool 3 times a week...
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Nice work Chrace, cracking overall session that would have been.

I got home, quickly showered and then the family decided we were all going swimming in the afternoon. Ended up being a hard day. Smile

And yes, think I got 10/30 or so in placings on that 10TT. Wind was not in our favor, and the last 2k were uphill which is just a lung buster when you know the flag is just over the next crest. Got caught by my 2-minute man, but also caught my 2-minute man. Never saw anyone, just zoned out. The winner has a 19:25 PB which says a bit about the course.
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Chrace, it seems like a weekend of crappy/slow courses! I did a 10 on Saturday, which had ferocious gusty sidewinds.

Not necessarily a 10TT, but I also did my first 50 yesterday on the Q50/1 course. 258W NP, from a 288W FTP, which is a bit lower than I would have hoped but it was a GRIM day and I felt a bit demotivated. Pouring with rain, terrible road surfaces and lots of short sharp climbs made for a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Finished in 2:04:05, a bit down on where I would have liked, but good training banked anyway.
Sopworth

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Good stuff Chrace, it seems like a weekend of crappy/slow courses! I did a 10 on Saturday, which had ferocious gusty sidewinds.

Not necessarily a 10TT, but I also did my first 50 yesterday on the Q50/1 course. 258W NP, from a 288W FTP, which is a bit lower than I would have hoped but it was a GRIM day and I felt a bit demotivated. Pouring with rain, terrible road surfaces and lots of short sharp climbs made for a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Finished in 2:04:05, a bit down on where I would have liked, but good training banked anyway.

That is still a very good time, mate. Out of interest, how did you work out your NP - do you go on what your Garmin, etc says or do you work it out on GC or similar?
Sopworth

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down to 22:34 after last night. Winds still not great and in my face after the turn and the home leg is slightly uphill, so I'm pretty confident on a float night, I can get below 22 mins.
I've also entered the Scottish National 25m TT next month. Can't believe i've waited until i'm 43 to start time-trialling. I'm loving it!!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Sir! Do you have any really fast courses nearby, that;s the cheat's way to get faster....; Wink
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V718 14/4/17 20:54 TRO Saracen Winner G Fox 18:13
Q10/19 06/5/17 21:10 TriSam Winner ???
G10/57 20/05/17 22:46 Wheezy Winner J. Rix 19:43
V314 14/05/17 26:46 Chrace Winner D Bramley 22:06

No wind yesterday morning so was hoping for a course pb, which I got by 1 second. Was hoping for a bit more but paced it well and pleased with that so relatively early in the season. Tried out a new helmet as I have got a Bambino and it was very comfortable, although not sure it was faster for me over a shot tt. Hoping it will be faster for longer events as I do tend to move my head around. Got a nopinz skinsuit coming this week so hopefully with a couple more months training and a trip to the F11/10 I might get down to a low 21, which would be nice.

Back on the G10/42 on Wednesday where my course pb is also 22:47. Conditions currently looking really good so hopefully that will see an improvement.

Sopworth wrote:
I'm down to 22:34 after last night. Winds still not great and in my face after the turn and the home leg is slightly uphill, so I'm pretty confident on a float night, I can get below 22 mins.
I've also entered the Scottish National 25m TT next month. Can't believe i've waited until i'm 43 to start time-trialling. I'm loving it!!

Sopworth, in time trialling years you're still a baby! Rode the event with my clubmate Ray yesterday. He's 91!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a thorough kicking on the B100/9. Sporting course in very unsporting conditions and by the last third I was thoroughly beaten up by rough roads, endless rollers, wind and some squally showers and faded.

Only two guys below 4, but I'm still a little disappointed with 4:26. Noticed some minor brake rub when I got home, but that would not explain the power fade.

Ride of the day Kimberley Morrison, pro triathlete, I think she does mainly 70.3. Women's course record smashed by 15 mins with 4:04, and she was 3rd overall. That is awesome riding, plenty of good male riders in her wake.

Been flying in 10s and 25s lately, but a tough 100 is different gravy. Got the Anfield 100 next Monday to redeem myself.....
Sopworth

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4:26 on a sporting course is still an awesome result.
Question for those with power meters - do you use them for pacing on TT's?
Does this pacing cross over to triathlon well, given the potential change in gradients on tri bike legs?
My last TT, which was a PB, I started my Wahoo and put it in my jersey pocket. I don't have a PM on my tt bike so don't pace other than how I feel. It felt good not looking at speed or cadence.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always use a PM for pacing TT's and Triathlons. But always taking into account feel and HR - between the three it gives you a pretty good idea what is going on.

Never forgotten my first TT with a PM. Rode it as I always had, then looked at what happened....350w+ out of the gate, then a gradual decline over the entire 10 miles, ending at about 200w, and died a thousand deaths over the 26-27 mins or so. I thought that was just what TT's are.

Next time I used the PM to regulate a sustainable effort, whole thing felt much more manageable, with a bit left I pushed hard late on, ended with a much higher ave power and about 90 secs quicker!
stenard

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Always use a PM for pacing TT's and Triathlons. But always taking into account feel and HR - between the three it gives you a pretty good idea what is going on.

Never forgotten my first TT with a PM. Rode it as I always had, then looked at what happened....350w+ out of the gate, then a gradual decline over the entire 10 miles, ending at about 200w, and died a thousand deaths over the 26-27 mins or so. I thought that was just what TT's are.

Next time I used the PM to regulate a sustainable effort, whole thing felt much more manageable, with a bit left I pushed hard late on, ended with a much higher ave power and about 90 secs quicker!

My first 10 scheduled for Saturday. Same course as my only official 10 of last year, so should be good for benchmarking. Will be on the TT this year though, versus a road bike last year.

Your comment about power was exactly what I did last year. I was just reviewing the data this morning to see what my time was in terms of trying to beat it. From Garmin Connect, my 1min max power was the first minute of the TT (c170% FTP!) and my 5min max power was the first 5mins of the TT (c116% of my AP for the entire ride).

As you say, I will definitely try and ride more consistently this time around.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a club 10 on Wednesday and rode a 23:53. Seem to be getting slower! As I have been following a different TR plan this season I just don't seem to have the top end to really go hard in a 10. I've got another 50 in a week and a 12 hr TT the weekend after. Thinking that once I get the Outlaw out of the way I will focus more on short, hurty stuff on the turbo and see if I can get my 10 and 25 time down some more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: