Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Fastest 10 mile time trial thread 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
Always use a PM for pacing TT's and Triathlons. But always taking into account feel and HR - between the three it gives you a pretty good idea what is going on.

Never forgotten my first TT with a PM. Rode it as I always had, then looked at what happened....350w+ out of the gate, then a gradual decline over the entire 10 miles, ending at about 200w, and died a thousand deaths over the 26-27 mins or so. I thought that was just what TT's are.

Next time I used the PM to regulate a sustainable effort, whole thing felt much more manageable, with a bit left I pushed hard late on, ended with a much higher ave power and about 90 secs quicker!

My first 10 scheduled for Saturday. Same course as my only official 10 of last year, so should be good for benchmarking. Will be on the TT this year though, versus a road bike last year.

Your comment about power was exactly what I did last year. I was just reviewing the data this morning to see what my time was in terms of trying to beat it. From Garmin Connect, my 1min max power was the first minute of the TT (c170% FTP!) and my 5min max power was the first 5mins of the TT (c116% of my AP for the entire ride).

As you say, I will definitely try and ride more consistently this time around.

Well that went rather well. Very windy today, so apparently pretty tough conditions, but at least it was a head wind going out when you were fresher. Smashed my time from last year on the same course by 2:31, but last year was a road bike with clip ons, this year was full TT rig, disc, etc.

Was also much more consistent on the effort. Averaged 254W (which implies my recent estimated FTP is way too low!) and whilst my max 1min power and max 5min power were still right at the start, they were only 299 and 272 respectively, which is much more sensible than what I started off at last year. Also, NP was only 262W for VI of 1.03, so that again shows a fairly consistent effort.

All in all, rather happy. Still way off the leaders tho. When I left I was the slowest non-female, non-vet to have finished!

V718 14/4/17 20:54 TRO Saracen Winner G Fox 18:13
Q10/19 06/5/17 21:10 TriSam Winner ???
H10/8 27/05/17 23:31 stenard Winner P. Wright 19:34
G10/42 22/04/17 26:25 Wheezy Winner L. Maybank / P. Wright 19:57
V314 14/05/17 26:46 Chrace Winner D Bramley 22:06

Last edited by stenard on Tue May 30, 2017 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Stenard.

Clusterf%&k for me at the Anfield 100. A classic race and one that has been going for over 100 years (you get a list of all the previous winners on the start booklet).

Did a nice 4 day taper into the event to freshen up, as I wanted a good performance. Up the afternoon before and drove the course, then hopped out and did an easy spin on the loop that you do 4 times (approx. 17 miles), felt good. Sun was out, course looked great to ride, definitely sporting but interesting. Rain was forecast overnight.

Up the next morning and the rain seemed to have passed; rain radar showed it had all moved through so I was expecting a dry race and the roads to dry/quicken.

Alas, that really annoying fine drizzly filth started about the time of the start; still rolled up to the start ready to rumble. Settled into the ride, not going quite as well as I'd hoped early but thought I may build into the ride as it went on. A few guns shot past looking inconceivably smooth and quick.

Then noticed my headset was a bit loose; monitored it and it was getting much looser and the bike was getting unstable. This is no way to ride, so sat up and trundled back to HQ. I'd done about an hour.

Gutted.

Drove home and though I'd bash out a turbo to at least have a decent training day but mentally just not willing. Got off after 15 mins.

I've had better days.....

Rolling Eyes
Aquazepp1

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V718 14/4/17 20:54 TRO Saracen Winner G Fox 18:13
Q10/19 06/5/17 21:10 TriSam Winner ???
A10/19 25/05/17 22:28 Aquazepp1 Winner R Bowditch 20:45
H10/8 27/05/17 23:31 stenard Winner P. Wright 19:34
G10/42 22/04/17 26:25 Wheezy Winner L. Maybank / P. Wright 19:57
V314 14/05/17 26:46 Chrace Winner D Bramley 22:06
Sopworth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Scottish National 25m TT today. Chuffed with 56:36 only to see the winning time from John Archibald who rode it just over 47 freakin' minutes!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sopworth wrote:
Did the Scottish National 25m TT today. Chuffed with 56:36 only to see the winning time from John Archibald who rode it just over 47 freakin' minutes!

47 minutes Shocked. Down Ben Nevis? Wink

First gun 10 since Good Friday for me this Thursday on E2/10. Looks to be very windy so we'll have to see....
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sopworth wrote:

Good ride well done! What was the course?
Sopworth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Sopworth wrote:

Good ride well done! What was the course?

I think the course was devised just for this event. There is no course designator I can see.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First ever 25 yday morning on the G25/54 (which is essentially on the same course as the 10 miler I've done twice before) and chuffed to get under the hour for a 58:56.

Really happy with the pacing, as it seems the two loops were only 10-15s apart (actually did a -ve split!) and I was suffering in the last 20mins or so as it should be.

Overall I really enjoyed it - there's always something to concentrate on (am I aero, is my cadence OK, what bit of road am I on, please remember which one the turn point roundabout is etc. etc.).

Av power was showing 263 before the power meter cut out with about 90s remaining so good to have a realistic FTP number to train off. Not sure how that power stacks up to the time so be interesting to know from others. Have tried to improve the position this year, but no speedsuit (or disc yet) and it feels like I've improved a bit in that area this year.

A couple of folks mentioned the wind, but it actually seemed OK, 8mph SW apparently but was more of a side wind and there weren't any noticeable tough sections so I think it was actually a reasonable day for it.
funkster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done many TTs over the last few seasons.

Did the Kent 100 yesterday (after 2 years ago driving down there and then about 5 mins from the HQ realising I'd left my shoes at home)
Plan was to try and dial in my IM pace for Bolton, so aiming for 240w / 70% of FTP

Course was pretty simple. A 14 mile out and back to start and then 4 laps from Brenzett to Camber to Lydd back to Brenzett.
Have done it numerous times as part of the Marshman, so knew it was going to be windy.

Probably should have had an easier week leading in and not doing my first 10 mile TT for a couple of years on Wednesday night

Anyhoo, long story short, was windy as expected. Head wind to Camber (which got stronger each lap) cross wind by the sea front, then tailwind to Lydd and crosswind back to Brenzett.

Should have left an extra bottle at Brenzett as started to run out of fluid by 80 miles and got a bit of hip flexor / Rec Fem cramp at 95 miles.

Finished with a 4:15:08
228w AP / 232w NP / 1.02 VI
Did a quick 2 mile tempo brick and felt reasonable

Had I took it easier for the 4-5 days leading up and had an extra bottle, probably would have been able to find the extra 10 watts, but good solid day.

Seems the fast boys were out with 9 riders under 4 hours and the winner doing 3:34!!
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Phil, it's a good honest course that. Have done my only "official" 25 ride on that course and got screwed over slightly with the wind. What was the road surface on it like? I plan to do an unofficial 25 this weekend to properly set my FTP before Outlaw Half in a few weekends, was thinking about getting down there.

Great ride Funkster - know those roads well having done Marshman myself the last two years, it's deceptively hard. 4:15:08 must have been reasonably up there, although a 3:34 is shifting! Was it Chris Fennel who won?
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Have tried to improve the position this year, but no speedsuit (or disc yet) and it feels like I've improved a bit in that area this year.

Position must be good! A 58 on that course with 263 AP sounds pretty slippery to me
funkster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Great ride Funkster - know those roads well having done Marshman myself the last two years, it's deceptively hard. 4:15:08 must have been reasonably up there, although a 3:34 is shifting! Was it Chris Fennel who won?

Thanks man.
Yeah, wasn't aiming for a PB just a good ride.
I have to say I hate the road from Camber to Lydd, it has little grooves in the road which make you judder every 3 seconds for about 10 minutes.

Yep. Number 70 Chris Fennell. Went past me like I was standing still.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Philleus, Funkster, great times.

Week 2 of the midweek E2/10 series this week.

Last week was the first and it was an utter disgrace - worst wind I have ridden in on the E2. Not just the strength but direction; was pretty wobbly, eviscerated myself for about 24mph out, flew back at about 31mph final time 22:16. Only one lad below 20, everyone massively slower than normal. For reference I rode at 12watts more than for my 20:38 on same course last year!

This week's weather forecast looks much more encouraging, I'm also doing the E2/100 on Sunday. Perfect world sees my first sub 20 10, and sub 4 100. Suspect the sub 20 is a bit beyond me atm, but the sub 4 100 is very much within range if I go well on e decent day. Worst bit will be rocking up ready to rumble: my start time is 5:01 am....
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
What was the road surface on it like? I plan to do an unofficial 25 this weekend to properly set my FTP before Outlaw Half in a few weekends, was thinking about getting down there.

Seemed good to me actually overall, didn't feel like I was being rattled around really at any point and only a couple of smallish breaks in the surface that I noticed over the course so certainly nothing to worry about.

Couple of freshly laid sections too which was nice. Much better than say the Thorpe Park triathlon bike course surfaces.
funkster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

This week's weather forecast looks much more encouraging, I'm also doing the E2/100 on Sunday. Perfect world sees my first sub 20 10, and sub 4 100. Suspect the sub 20 is a bit beyond me atm, but the sub 4 100 is very much within range if I go well on e decent day. Worst bit will be rocking up ready to rumble: my start time is 5:01 am....

Yeah I had the choice between the Kent and the E2

Didn't fancy getting up at 3am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: