Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Fastest 10 mile time trial thread 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mungo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub 20 10 mile TT.....!

I would take that downhill these days.

Well done on the total time thats quick.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Not a 10, but a marvelous 52:48 on E2/25 today. PB by over 1:30. Shame I got cramp in my calf in the last mile, had to stand and stretch it out while doing 30mph on a dual carriageway.

Tailwind back, my final 10 mile split was 19:52....

Well done TRO, that is shifting a bit, must have been nearly spinning out?

Jeff
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Well done TRO, that is shifting a bit, must have been nearly spinning out?

Jeff[/quote]

Yes, was an issue at times coming back, and I had 55-11. I have 58, but didn't have time to fit it. Power dropped a few watts coming back.

Oi knee, do one....
newarktricky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Not a 10, but a marvelous 52:48 on E2/25 today. PB by over 1:30. Shame I got cramp in my calf in the last mile, had to stand and stretch it out while doing 30mph on a dual carriageway.

Tailwind back, my final 10 mile split was 19:52....

Great ride - exactly 1 min quicker than me which was a 7 sec PB. Most unexpected as weather and course were bang on but it was my first 25 of the year and so my fitness wasn't great. Also my powermeter died as soon as I hit the A11 on the way out at 5 miles so I had to pace off feel. I think I pushed too hard out, caught my minute man on the sliproad back on after the turn then started to suffer and he caught me again 200m from the line. Our rides were put into context with 10 men going under 48 mins and the winner doing 45.20 Surprised

NT Very Happy Very Happy
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, been targeting this race so have had a 20 and a couple of 10's to get back into it so was hoping for a top ride, and got it. Training Peaks said VI was 1.0 and IF was 1.0!

Nice effort being your first of the year, I always find the first couple every year a bit scruffy and a few watts off, so you should be set nicely going forwards.

Field was ridiculous, sub 48 required for top 10. Think I was well clear of these sorts of riders as no one caught me.

Oi knee, do one....
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20:54 for me on the V718 Good Friday.

Day was very average speedwise, cold and 'wrong' direction for the wind. I was 10w or so down on target wattage, so not really on it tbh.

Conditions didn't stop 13 guys going 18:xx and another 31 19:xx. I ended a princely, BOP 81st out of 107.

Phil Graves 3rd with 18:16, proper tester now our Phil....

Oi knee, do one....
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Graves...
His average bike power/ speed must be through the roof.
Think he is an ex competitive swimmer too?

Did he have a long term run injury?!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did have some injuries.

I think he tried short course for a while; at IM his run was always dodgy, for every IM UK win (2013?), there were a couple of complete blow ups.

He was a great swim-biker, fairly sure he led Kona on the bike for a short while....

Oi knee, do one....
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC he went off like a mad man to 80 k in the lava fields one year, then blew in a spectacular fashion, he must have known he would.
Dave Scott? Or one of the other legends said he would win it one day.

With the top IM athletes running 2:40 ish Marathons in the race he would need a huge lead to win, we await Alistairs half Marathon run split this weekend......
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can't see Graves running a 2:40; the Kona dynamic may well shift over the next couple of years and you'll need a front pack swim/bike and a 2:40 or below.

You have Lange with his sub 2:40 Kona and solid swim bike, I don't think Frodo has been really pushed on a Kona run yet, plus other fast improvers like Hoffman/Sanders and that's without any new guns like Gomez/Brownlee.

Be good to see Frodo under real pressure, his current gameplan of lead the swim with a small group, have a comfy ride while the rest have to organise/chase until the main pack forms and then run away may have to alter if there are some genuine 2:40 runners hanging in there.

You do fear for those with a weak suit (eg Joe Skippers swim).

Exciting times

Laughing

Oi knee, do one....
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess making a 4:30 bike split your rest period is the secret here....

Strangely I can see Jan neck and neck with Gomez and AB on the run.

ITU race from yesteryear but just longer.

Lange asks questions too.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty for AB and Gomez to do before they are neck and neck with Frodo on a Kona run; but on the other hand it should be remembered that despite Beijing Frodo was never a true ITU great - think he only won a couple of races - and there's no doubt AB and Gomez have moved it up to a different level since Frodo was competing.

Gomez has a 1st and a 3rd in the IM 70.3 World Champs doing the event tacked onto the end of a full ITU season; and although Alistair does not have any 70.3 experience his races and entries so far show he is taking it very seriously as his sole focus for the year.

Oi knee, do one....
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A world of difference between a half and a full, especially for the pros who are basically doing half volume for their Oly distance training. I know it was just a BBC fluff piece, but AB said he's hardly changed his training at all. Just a bit more steady state bike instead of all the surges.

For me, ironman, especially Kona is a strong man's game. Frodo and Gomez are strong, AB strikes me as a bit fragile, be it physically breaking down from all the training miles or just the heat in Kona. Gomez just doesn't get overuse injuries, and he races all the time. If he takes it seriously, that would be where I put my money.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, let's get this thread back on track!

My first 10 of the year. Decided, stupidly, to tinker with my tt bike this morning which ended up with my breaking part of my rear brake! Stupid So ended up going old school and riding my road bike and road equipment. I was the penultimate rider off being Liam Maybank's minute man. Thought I might be able to hold him off until the firt roundabout; not a chance. He rode a 19:57 on a pretty slow course. Was quite fast out but a real drag on the way back. I was almost 4 minutes slower today than in this event last year. Oh well, early days.

B10/19 4/3/17 22:29 TRO Saracen Winner Lloyd Chapman 20:18
G10/42 22/04/17 26:25 Wheezy Winner L. Maybank 19:57
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
B10/19 4/3/17 22:29 TRO Saracen Winner Lloyd Chapman 20:18
G10/42 22/04/17 26:25 Wheezy Winner L. Maybank / P. Wright 19:57

Why you forgetting my team mate Smile sub 20 on that course is great going.

26:25 for you even with a road bike suggests not that fast a day though, even for a saturday afternoon event.

Might try and get out for one of the evening 10's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: