Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Anyone had cartilage repair, how soon back running?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waddy-UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Anyone had cartilage repair, how soon back running? Reply with quote

I had an op 3 weeks ago to remove floating bone in my knee and remove and repair damaged cartilage. Day procedure done with an arthroscopy. I thought it would be 2 weeks rets then back to light running. I called the clinic today and finally got an answer to this question as the surgeons secretary has bene of for a few weeks and was told the surgeon said no running until my follow up April 14th!

I'm itching to get back in the hope I can do at least a half ironmen this year so was surprised it will be almost 2 months since the op when I see him and hopefully get the all clear.

Does a cartilage op really require you to take it steady for such a long time?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. When you go back for your check up they may refer you for physio. Do what they say and only run when you are advised. I started at 6 weeks with short runs with walks in between and built it up from there. Get a S & C programme at your gym.
A friend of mine started running 10 days after and she has now had to have a partial knee replacement & will never run again.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan wrote:
Yes. When you go back for your check up they may refer you for physio. Do what they say and only run when you are advised. I started at 6 weeks with short runs with walks in between and built it up from there. Get a S & C programme at your gym.
A friend of mine started running 10 days after and she has now had to have a partial knee replacement & will never run again.

good post...but sad to hear of your friend...

pipkin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2015 had an arthroscopy to repair slight tear on knee cartilage, I was told 3 weeks rest then able to begin very steady jogging.
But unfortunately knee got infected so had to have another arthroscopy 2 weeks later to clean knee out, then infection re-occurred so had to have another arthroscopy 1 week later to clean knee out again.
Took me well over a year to get back to racing again.
iron snorks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a meniscus clean up done 8 weeks ago on this coming friday and I'm up to 5km running slowly.

I started two weeks. The recovery time is different for everyone. Mine hasnt been perfect by any imagination and I'm still in some discomfort now, with locking of the joint from time to time and inflammation around the wounds of entry.

My doc preferred me to start jogging easy than riding which is different to many because I had also had some work done on the femur itself.

I think like lots of things like this your just have be to patient (even if we all struggle to do that!).

Good luck

www.ridgesupplysocks.com
www.jaggad.com
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I had a meniscectomy a couple of years ago, the surgeon (also a triathlete) suggested not running for at least 6 weeks or - at my age - find more problems developing. as it happened, due to this rest period combining with a month's holiday I didn't run for at least 10 weeks and it was fine.

the downside was that he told me after working on my knee that I had grade 2 arthritis in it - and he was bloody right as it gives me gyp now some days!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after struggling with medial meniscus tears in both knees, i had 50% removed from my left last summer and 75% removed from my right in early December.

Am up to riding the hills again, albeit slowly, and very short runs whilst trying to maintain form. Still lots of swelling on my right post running. Kicking in fins again for short distances.

flyingelephant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some cartilage removed from the knee. Surgeon said no more running for me....ever. Was not a happy chappy.
Foggo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had knee surgery but on my articular cartilage, they used stem cells to grow new cartilage. I didn't run for 12 months. I was told not to.
I am now back running albeit keeping the distance to a minimum but so far so good.
My advice is do not rush it, there is no point just for a race, be patient & recover properly & strong and you will be back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: