Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cheap Go Pro style action cam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Cheap Go Pro style action cam Reply with quote

Was thinking of getting an action cam. I am going on a Tri camp in a couple of weeks and thought a waterproof cam would be good for that and I also hope to go up to the Lakes early summer and do a reccy of the Hellvelyn course and want to record that.

I'm not spending 250+ on a GoPro, but there are plenty of cheap ones on Amazon with seemingly genuine and good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acekool-Waterproof-170%C2%B0Ultra-Wide-Angle-Accessories/dp/B01N0XBBO9/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I realise they wont be spectacular but anyone tried them? Are they complete rubbish?
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an original Garmin Virb about 6 months ago for 75 off sport pursuit (now sold out). I still think its pretty decent, and definitely better than a cheapo one I'd bought in the past. Added benefit is being in the garmin ecosystem, it connects with my 920xt so I can remotely start and stop recordings etc, and take photos using the watch. For a recent ski trip, with fat gloves on, that was quite a help.

Can't see any available for that kind of price at the moment though. The original Virb Elite is quite good as it has gps built in and can connect directly to your sensors (can see this available for 150 on amazon, and there are a number of ebay auctions live <100). Trying to sync up my raw footage to my fit file data is quite tricky - to the extent I haven't properly tried it yet - so the Elite would be good for that.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cheaper one before I got a good deal on a GoPro Hero (on here actually). Did the trick but was bulkier and heavier, which for a helmet cam was inconvenient. Also the sound was abysmal compared with the GoPro. That said, the GoPro at full price is massively overpriced.

Please note that that particular seller probably doesn't know what "fisheye" and "mic" means. 170 degree is fisheye, and his response to "mic" is relating to recording formats...

At that price I'd say give it a go.
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of the small shimano cameras for about 70 a year ago. You can get them for about 100 still i think. they are pretty decent, pretty small and use go pro mounts so can get a k-edge garmin/go pro mount on the bars or one of their saddle mounts which are excellent.

DCRainmaker has done a group test on cameras
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I looked on DC Rainmaker but he only seemed to have reviewed the more expensive ranges.

I am not too bothered about the bulkness, I will probably handle bar mount it. Sound I am not bothered about either as it will only be me calling car drivers c****ts and the like.

I'll give the cheapo one ago. If its rubbish then so be it. If I get a lot of use I may upgrade later on. The Garmin VIRB sounds good with the data overlay
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a bit of time trawling the reviews on the cheap cameras. Once you filtered out the fakes and nonsense (one camera was giving away free accessory kit for a positive review, which is why it had 300+ 5 star reviews) the consensus was they are all a bit rubbish.

In the end I got a Shimanno CM-1000 from Ebay for 80, brand new. DC rainmaker said it had a few annoying foibles but not a bad bit of kit. Its fully waterproof and has ANT+ sensor pairing. Only annoying thing is doesn't pick up cadence from a power meter.

Hopefully it will arrive before I go to Lanza
GMI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been researching these for a while now, both the cheap end and more expensive options. The biggest problem I am encountering is battery life. The longest seems to be 90 minutes.

How do people get around this? I'm looking for something to record my full ride of around 3 hours+ for safety issues. Any ideas? Is this even possible?
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shimmano one I have got has a about 2 hr record time. The Garmin Virb is about 3 hours and can support a 64gb card, the Shimm only 32.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot will do more than 2 hours without a battery change. And probably only the quite expensive ones.

If you don't mind stopping for a battery swap that's by far the cheapest option (a couple of extra batteries, even if bespoke ones). Otherwise you'll have to sacrifice your requirement for "cheap" since it won't be.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone considering one of these I can thoroughly recommend NOT buying the Shimano.

I have worked in IT for 16 years and it took me ages to workout how to use it. Shimano have released two new cameras and glossed over the CM-1000.

To use the App you have to update the firmware. But the webpage on the new site has the wrong firmware, I found the correct one on another hidden page in the end.

No idea what its like at actually recording video will try that later but getting it setup requires a degree in astrophysics.
GMI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Not a lot will do more than 2 hours without a battery change. And probably only the quite expensive ones.

If you don't mind stopping for a battery swap that's by far the cheapest option (a couple of extra batteries, even if bespoke ones). Otherwise you'll have to sacrifice your requirement for "cheap" since it won't be.

Any ideas which models have removeable batteries? I came close to buying a contour until I realized you can't change the battery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: