Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Fastish, longish, easy and fun training session

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Fastish, longish, easy and fun training session Reply with quote

Did a 50k ride 10k run brick today.

My ride was 1h37m @ 31 km/h with 520m climbing
run was 10.2km in 49m50s @ 4:57/km

however, I wasn't pushing, I was taking things nice and easy, cycling and running well within myself, not hurting and thoroughly enjoying myself, ride and run all in Fink Zone 2 (Garmin/Strava Zone 3)

I almost always enjoy training after I finish a session, but usually find the training session painful while doing it, this is the first time I think that I have really enjoyed a training session whilst doing it

I have now been doing Triathlons for 18 months - over the winter I have really come a long way, and now feel that I have a much better engine than ever before.

So I have a couple of questions:
People who are just getting into triathlons and putting in serious training, are you the same as me and find training hard and painful but rewarding?

People who have developed a good level of base fitness over several seasons of training - do you find that you can do fast, long, easy sessions that you really enjoy?

Are some of my training session about to become a whole lot more enjoyable and less painful?
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastish, longish, easy and fun training session Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
People who have developed a good level of base fitness over several seasons of training - do you find that you can do fast, long, easy sessions that you really enjoy?

I don't think this exists, unfortunately!
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably with Sam on this one, although occasionally I go out on a long ride and if I'm feeling good I get a bit carried away and it ends up being a bit faster than it should, but an extra decent session is alright if it doesn't set you back for a few days.

Jeff
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you move with the fitness level so it is all relative....occasionally you can have some fun, but often it is still hard work...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old coach told me...... Some days you just float.

Did 29km in two hours a few weeks back after a rest day and it felt easy, heart rate ave 152 IIRC?

Unfortunately this is the exception rather than the rule, it mostly just hurts when doing the hard stuff these days.

I guess the trick is floating on race day, thats an art in it's self.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastish, longish, easy and fun training session Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
are you the same as me and find training hard and painful but rewarding?

I have never found training hard or painful, exercise is either fun (mostly) or I stop (very rarely) - if I did I wouldn't do it. I tend to exercise hard by everyone elses consideration, and yes I would say the likelyhood of these good times are going to be greater when you're aerobically fit.

It may be that I'm massively under-performing by never getting pain...
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I guess I had a floating day, nice to have occasionally, maybe I will have a few more
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally I set out to do a decent length run and pace it on feel, when I get back I realise I was going way faster than expected. As others have said, that is the exception. There are the days when it goes the other way and you are struggling to hit the expected paces.

That being said, I never find intervals or any kind of structured session easy, if it is you generally aren't working hard enough.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the odd floating day but mostly long rides and runs are just a bit hard, and boring.

I like interval work. Its very hard going but you know you will get a rest and its a good feeling. My swim set this morning was a handful of 100s, 50, 25s all done at 100% max effort with lots of rest. Love the feeling of being at the limit and the lactic acid burn.

The only feeling I get on a long run is some aching towards the end.
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry, Things just get harder for me.

As I get fitter I am able to push harder and for longer, So the efforts are more severe and last longer. Its more rewarding as I know I am doing things that months ago were impossible but the hardness never lets up.

Of course the Speed also rises, It would get easier should I have stayed the same pace but as My fitness rises so does my pace.

Of course get it right and Race day should feel easy....for a while at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: