Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
This forum is a #@?# hole
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Agree with Jim, FB is not the answer as it's not like a Forum. I cannot access FB in the office anyway, and mobiles prohibited for security reasons.

AndyS (or his latest iteration) is an Admin here iirc.

What's funny there is that the policy to stop you using FB and mobiles is to prevent malaware infection and data leakage....which is basically what this site is serving.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS.. wrote:
Who wants to be an admin? I haven't read anything here for yonks, I just pop in to tidy up. It's a thankless task, people just moan all the time. Dr TT hasn't been here for almost two years so the forum email system still doesn't work so you won't get any emails informing you of spam, you just have to call in and look.

There are about five admins but it's mostly me who does anything (give or take). I'll un-admin some people and admin up some new faces.

Who wants in?

It is a thankless task, and people do just moan, and I'm not trying to be a tool here because it's free and I make no effort.

But with relatively little traffic, no updates on Tri news, it would seem easier to move the community to a platform where no admin is required.

Ps I'm having a bit of a spring clean at home, so I am a bit menopausal at the moment. Wink
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how exactly is this site serving malware ?....

if it's in the links posted by very obvious spambots then more fool you I say!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I f'king love the Internet sometimes.

Back in 2013, on a vote on whether the wonderful Julian(sic) should leave the Forum:

SloggingScotsman wrote:

Julius I voted for you to go, because you have hurt a forum member badly and simply won't apologise for it. I was going to abstain for reasons others have cited but I am trying to train myself to make difficult no win decisions, in case I need to in the future, so I had to vote one way of another as part of this training. I do want you here but I don't want you causing distress to others. And in a in/out decision where I forced myself to vote I had to vote for harmony. I will however reflect upon whether this was the right decision but I stand by it.

When all is said and done most people who have an issue probably have an issue for similar reasons you hurt someone, and you don't seem to give a monkies about it.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91504&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

a rather unctuous fellow who has met a similar fate on other sites...

In response to a thread entitled: "this is all crap and julius fawcett is a jerk", he replied "i have feelings you know, I am a human being"

that said, the topics are more up his street, such as: depression & anxiety; complex parental situation; i'm too skinny; one partner has depression etc...if he can't cure them, at least he can add to their confusion...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Foggy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS.. wrote:

There are about five admins but it's mostly me who does anything (give or take).

I pop in a couple of times a day and delete spam #@?# Razz
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah don't listen to me, this site has been going on a lot longer than I've been here, and has a lot of history in it.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Ah don't listen to me, this site has been going on a lot longer than I've been here, and has a lot of history in it.
dont worry about it TinPot, no one ever listens to me either!
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
how exactly is this site serving malware ?....

if it's in the links posted by very obvious spambots then more fool you I say!

Links are old fashioned methods of spreading malware, still effective hut about a 2 out of 10 on a logarithmic scale of malware sophistication.

Any site that allows people on the internet so submit data and have it returned to them, is susceptible even with meticulous administration. All websites are probed thousands of times per day for weaknesses that can be exploited - hence I can be confident this place is serving it without even running a scan or pen test.

Please don't go around the web thinking that spotting dodgy links wil save you Smile
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive tried to reach out to Gareth a couple times about helping man the site or even taking over but he hasn't used twitter for years, emailed him and no reply and the PM here is unanswered. Jorgan and I have discussed a few times about improvements and trying to get new users but in its current state with a home page that doesn't work and the majority of links going into dead ends its not going to improve.

I could set up a FB group (theres a non active group already set up after a crash in about 2008 with only one admin but its unused and no way to get in control of it as far as i can see). It would work as an addition but the groups I'm in over there just don't work well as forum substitutes. Its more social than decent information sharing. We thought it was bad here in the day with Newbs posting the same questions every year, but one group I'm in you get the same question posted 5 times a day and the search function is useless.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Back in 2013, on a vote on whether the wonderful Julian(sic) should leave the Forum:

SloggingScotsman wrote:

Julius I voted for you to go, because you have hurt a forum member badly and simply won't apologise for it. I was going to abstain for reasons others have cited but I am trying to train myself to make difficult no win decisions, in case I need to in the future, so I had to vote one way of another as part of this training. I do want you here but I don't want you causing distress to others. And in a in/out decision where I forced myself to vote I had to vote for harmony. I will however reflect upon whether this was the right decision but I stand by it.

When all is said and done most people who have an issue probably have an issue for similar reasons you hurt someone, and you don't seem to give a monkies about it.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91504&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Only 2013? Wow.

I still haven't voted. Am impressed by Julius' 2708 post count. Spreading positivity and creating negativity.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Ive tried to reach out to Gareth a couple times about helping man the site or even taking over but he hasn't used twitter for years, emailed him and no reply and the PM here is unanswered. Jorgan and I have discussed a few times about improvements and trying to get new users but in its current state with a home page that doesn't work and the majority of links going into dead ends its not going to improve.

I could set up a FB group (theres a non active group already set up after a crash in about 2008 with only one admin but its unused and no way to get in control of it as far as i can see). It would work as an addition but the groups I'm in over there just don't work well as forum substitutes. Its more social than decent information sharing. We thought it was bad here in the day with Newbs posting the same questions every year, but one group I'm in you get the same question posted 5 times a day and the search function is useless.

much just gets lost on FB and it needs more admin than here....forums are at least self regulating...

this site still gets views...just very little posting...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

SloggingScotsman wrote:

Only 2013? Wow.

I still haven't voted. Am impressed by Julius' 2708 post count. Spreading positivity and creating negativity.

still sharing the same solution today, whatever the problem...

SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

SloggingScotsman wrote:

Only 2013? Wow.

that is a common flaw with evangelicals in any field. You can be so convinced that your truth is the only possible truth and you have to make people see it. So you try to do good and actually harm.

In a way it's not that different from political ideology!

I was once asked to attend meetings by an evangelical church, and thought why not. After a few evenings the pastor asked me to choose to stop attending (it was very important to him that he did not kick me out) ......why......because I was making some of his flock question their faith!
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Facebook doesn't provide the same ideal platform as discussions as here.

I was away from here for ages but came back a while ago and am making a very conscious effort (re-branding questions notwithstanding Wink ) to get more involved again. Quite simply because this place is worth keeping going.

In my absence I noted a few stalwarts on here have basically kept the old place going, for which we owe a big 'thanks' to. With that in mind I feel I should offer to do my bit so Andy - I'm happy to become an admin as well, to help clear up some of the sh1t that gets posted. I find I end up quite often reporting it and often thinking it would just be easier if I had the power to delete it myself.

I don't know how to re-energise the site, but at least if we can keep it going with regular activity of some description, it keeps it alive until someone comes up with a great idea.

My 15 minutes of fame
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest a tidy up is all that's required with the news replaced by poster contributions, race reports etc. It wouldn't take a lot, Well maybe a bit of time but easy enough work to just cut out the dead ends. Have a fb page /group that links over here as well so fb'ers get directed to the old site.

Id like to get the kit reinstated also. Not only is it promoting the site /Team TT but all you see at races was TriTalk blue and the Pirate yellow in big groups. Made attending races alone (see how I link nicely there Wink ) much more fun as there was always a big group. Austria 70.3 in 2010 was a great weekend with car shares, TT bike ride the day before, TT drinks after etc. Same with many of the races, Forestman, Outlaw. There was even a TriTalkman in 2008! WE'll struggle to get those days back but it can always improve. Slowtwitch still gets plenty of traffic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: