Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
This forum is a #@?# hole
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: This forum is a #@?# hole Reply with quote

Obviously unmanned and administered, it's just a hive of spam and malware now.

Anyone up for moving to/also using a group on Facebook until this place sorts itself out?

It's a piece of piss to do a group there.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the Phwoooar thread could be maintained on facebook without violating some of their image requirements.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: This forum is a #@?# hole Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
It's a piece of piss to do a group there.

But it's #@?#.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Jim, FB is not the answer as it's not like a Forum. I cannot access FB in the office anyway, and mobiles prohibited for security reasons.

AndyS (or his latest iteration) is an Admin here iirc.
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TinPot are you sure you don't want to buy my drugs/conterfeit IDs/stolen bikes/guns/Team Sky branded testosterone patches?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Agree with Jim, FB is not the answer as it's not like a Forum. I cannot access FB in the office anyway, and mobiles prohibited for security reasons.

I am happy to be friends or whatever with random people on facebook (all you'll see from me are pictures of cakes made by a 5 year old and pics/videos of that 5 year old) but it is a lousy environment for discussion.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
TinPot are you sure you don't want to buy my drugs/conterfeit IDs/stolen bikes/guns/Team Sky branded testosterone patches?

Hell, wouldn't we all if we could get away with it. The question is how do you prioritise that list....
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it's so difficult to work out which posts are spam and which are not....

sadly, the site suffers from a lack of use - and thus priority from the owner - and so my response is get posting...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
yep, it's so difficult to work out which posts are spam and which are not....

sadly, the site suffers from a lack of use - and thus priority from the owner - and so my response is get posting...
and people moan at my off-topic posts! Wink

Look this forum has one unique strength that does shine through, which doesn't happen so readily on Facebook groups, which in my experience tend to be more 'singular view'. And it can be difficult to find stuff as time passes.

I mean on here, any of us (except Gus who might be wishing that he hadn't decided to tap into group experience re brands) can ask a wide range of people a question.

In the past I have gained useful answers on everything from bagpipes to politics. Most of us probably have. This comes from this forum being a huge mix of different experiences and outlooks (with the commonality of triathlon and extreme sports).

I would suggest that if you want more people posting, then treating fellow forumites who you think are mad more respectfully would aid considerably. I mean look how Julian, a triathlete, was hounded off this forum, just because he wants everyone to be nice to each other. As with my own threads, you can always just ignore them if you don't like them. In the past excessive biff has, in my opinion, reduced the number of posters.

In short, young Skywalkers, follow the light side of the force, not the dark side, as Julian might have once said.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think you mean Julius? He had a darker side iirc, where he told people they got what they deserved, and not in a supportive or positive way. I could have false memory syndrome, but I pretty much think it went something like (I'm paraphrasing here) 'well they have cancer and it's what they deserve' or 'their kid dies in an accident, there must have been something in life that meant they deserved it'

Do I remember incorrectly?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I f'king love the Internet sometimes.

Back in 2013, on a vote on whether the wonderful Julian(sic) should leave the Forum:

SloggingScotsman wrote:

Julius I voted for you to go, because you have hurt a forum member badly and simply won't apologise for it. I was going to abstain for reasons others have cited but I am trying to train myself to make difficult no win decisions, in case I need to in the future, so I had to vote one way of another as part of this training. I do want you here but I don't want you causing distress to others. And in a in/out decision where I forced myself to vote I had to vote for harmony. I will however reflect upon whether this was the right decision but I stand by it.

When all is said and done most people who have an issue probably have an issue for similar reasons you hurt someone, and you don't seem to give a monkies about it.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91504&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Last edited by Jorgan on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope Jorgan, you're pretty much on point memorywise there.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I f'king love the Internet sometimes.

Back in 2013, on a vote on whether the wonderful Julian(sic) should leave the Forum:

SloggingScotsman wrote:

Julius I voted for you to go, because you have hurt a forum member badly and simply won't apologise for it. I was going to abstain for reasons others have cited but I am trying to train myself to make difficult no win decisions, in case I need to in the future, so I had to vote one way of another as part of this training. I do want you here but I don't want you causing distress to others. And in a in/out decision where I forced myself to vote I had to vote for harmony. I will however reflect upon whether this was the right decision but I stand by it.

When all is said and done most people who have an issue probably have an issue for similar reasons you hurt someone, and you don't seem to give a monkies about it.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91504&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
and I have reflected. Perhaps I could have done more to get him to reflect more on the consequences of his words? Afaik I was the only forumite to check up on him after he left the forum.

I had however forgotten his dark side. Still none of us are perfect. He clearly believed what he wrote and he is entitled to his beliefs. But he should have recognised that not all share his beliefs and that he may have been wrong and through them caused unnecessary distress. I mean I actively question my own beliefs all the time. And words do have power to both heal and to hurt.

Fair point though Jorgan, I had forgotten the sheer distress he caused.
AndyS..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to be an admin? I haven't read anything here for yonks, I just pop in to tidy up. It's a thankless task, people just moan all the time. Dr TT hasn't been here for almost two years so the forum email system still doesn't work so you won't get any emails informing you of spam, you just have to call in and look.

There are about five admins but it's mostly me who does anything (give or take). I'll un-admin some people and admin up some new faces.

Who wants in?
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:

Well now you put it like that, I take it all back. Sign me up for three crates of ammunition and two Uzis.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: