Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Look Keo Blade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Look Keo Blade Reply with quote

Does anyone here have them? I'm thinking of getting a set, but obviously until I've tried them, I don't know which tension would be best suited to me. I weigh 74kg, and ride the grey cleats (currently on Keo Carbons with adjustable tension).

My gut is telling me probably 16nm? How easy is it to change the blade? I ask because you can get some great prices on the lower tension models.
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 12nm with grey cleats. Only my 2nd pair of clipless pedals so I don't have a lot of experience to reference against, but I did ride a bike with a pair of 16nm and found them to be very firm. So much so that I was having to think ahead by some distance when I thought I might want to unclip. It took a definite stamp to engage the cleat, and heavy twist to disengage. Also, riding in stop-start traffic I spent quite some time with one foot unclipped. That might just have been down to unfamiliarity though. The 12s seem to me to be a good compromise - firm enough to effectively hold the cleat, without needing special consideration to engage/disengage.
TSH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Look Keo Blade Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Does anyone here have them? I'm thinking of getting a set, but obviously until I've tried them, I don't know which tension would be best suited to me. I weigh 74kg, and ride the grey cleats (currently on Keo Carbons with adjustable tension).

My gut is telling me probably 16nm? How easy is it to change the blade? I ask because you can get some great prices on the lower tension models.

I changed a couple of bikes from Look Delta's to Keo Blades last year. I have the 12nm and ride with the red cleats, although so far I haven't had to change the blade. No probs with the pedals at all, just a little reduced stack height over the Delta's. Guess now I've made the change I might have to upgrade all bikes. I paid about 100 for a pair from my LBS for the first pair, and got the second pair for half that price on line.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 12 and 16, still have the 16 as a spare if my P1's ever fail. The 16s are quite tight to get out of in a hurry but still more than OK. I tended to use them on the track and TT bike and the 12's on the road bike that id be more stop start on. for all round use Id just go 12 as they are more than capable.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
for all round use Id just go 12 as they are more than capable.

Even with my prodigious power?
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were OK for me, so you'll be more than fine
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRC have them going for 47, but I didn't fancy the white ones, as they'll look dirty in no time. I ended-up buying the Black ones in 8nm, and getting the 12nm kit for another 15.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I ended up going with the plan above. The 12nm blades are in the nice Look tricolour design too. Two points of note - the release mechanism feels quite different to a spring, I almost fell over the first time I stopped at a junction, as they only release right at the end of the twist....and man, are they creaky or what! I have sprayed them with lithium grease, hopefully that helps.
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went the other way, I'm getting rid of my Keo Classics and switching to Shimano 105s.
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So, I ended up going with the plan above. The 12nm blades are in the nice Look tricolour design too. Two points of note - the release mechanism feels quite different to a spring, I almost fell over the first time I stopped at a junction, as they only release right at the end of the twist....and man, are they creaky or what! I have sprayed them with lithium grease, hopefully that helps.

I bought the 16s first off and within 100yds had an emergency stop and unclip. It very nearly didnt go well. Main reason i bought the 12's for everyday use at the time.

I'm still happy with my P1's. not sure I'll upgrade in a hurry Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I bought the 16s first off and within 100yds had an emergency stop and unclip. It very nearly didnt go well. Main reason i bought the 12's for everyday use at the time.

don't you guys practice first???

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

they were just new Look Keos. Id assumed they were they same as the old ones Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

they were just new Look Keos. Id assumed they were they same as the old ones Wink

When you've been riding clipless for 25 years, you tend to just get on with it. The Keo Blade has a very different mechanism feel to anything else I've tried, because there's no spring.

Riding them in training is practicing!
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
and man, are they creaky or what! I have sprayed them with lithium grease, hopefully that helps.
A Couple of the guys I ride with these these pedals and creaks/groans are all I can hear, so don't think those noises ever go away......
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluepoolshark wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
and man, are they creaky or what! I have sprayed them with lithium grease, hopefully that helps.
A Couple of the guys I ride with these these pedals and creaks/groans are all I can hear, so don't think those noises ever go away......

Actually I doused mine in wet chain lube....hey presto, quiet pedals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: