Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Where to sell my bike?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw5er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Where to sell my bike? Reply with quote

Looking for some advice on where best to sell my road bike. I used to haunt these forums regularly a while back before I picked up a nasty hamstring injury that put an end to my Tri 'career'. Now looking to sell all my kit, but struggling to get any interest in my bike locally or on eBay (just listed it on here).

Anyone had any luck selling a used bike? If so, where? Or am I better off stripping it down and selling the parts separately?
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sold a few over the years, although to be fair the last one was a few years ago.

I sold a De Rosa on pre-loved (not sure if it still exists).

But my best result was actually Ebay where I made money on a bike I'd bought 2nd hand myself.

My tips:
Photos: Lots and lots and lots of really, really REALLY good photos. I'm not expert, but light is crucial. I got about 5 household lights all pointing at the bike from all angles behind the camera, lighting it up beautifully. All the chrome/alu shone nicely and made it look like new.

Geography: the chances of someone close to you looking for your bike at that given moment are not high. So make it obvious that you're willing to travel a good distance to meet someone (even half-way). I sold a 1500 TT bike and drove 100 miles to meet the guy half-way up the M1. How much did my journey cost? It was well worth it to sell the bike for that price for me.

Time/timing: later winter-early spring obviously, as people think about the new season. Also, though (as above) the chances of someone looking for your bike at that given moment are not high, so don't give up, just keep re-advertising and wait.... it only takes one person.

Good luck Smile

My 15 minutes of fame
nw5er

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you'll need photos!
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay is the best for max exposure but beware the selling costs: typically 10% of final selling price (and possibly paypal if you let the buyer pay this way). they do discounts off final valuation fees for sellers which is worth looking out for.

i usually list on ebay and gumtree (which is free but strangely owned by ebay) at the same time.

i've bought and sold several over the last few years and usually end up making a small profit but timing is everything: now's a good time to sell.
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeradar.com forum classifieds.

Very well used classifieds section (I've bought 2 bikes off there so far).
nw5er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thanks.

Yes, got lots of photos (although I can't add them to the classified listing on this site, for some reason). It's up on eBay, Gumtree, a local classifieds site, local Facebook selling groups, Pink Bike, plus I've emailed local tri and cycling clubs.

I'll add it to Bike Radar, thanks - hadn't thought of that one.

Worst case scenario I strip it and sell the parts separately, but I'd rather avoid the hassle of that.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the Ebay link in your classifieds add here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: