Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Disaster bike crash
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Disaster bike crash Reply with quote

OK my season has hit a major issue. Had a bike crash, car turning right cut junction, I didn't hit car, but went over the bars, car didn't stop, probably not even aware. Anyway, got off pretty lightly, broken collar and dislocated finger. Why disaster... I am off cycling and swimming for 8 weeks, so will have just over 3 weeks before ultimate tri in June.

Clearly running will be my main training, but difficult to run for hours on end to build stamina. Any suggestions for training plan for next 2 months
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Disaster bike crash Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
OK my season has hit a major issue. Had a bike crash, car turning right cut junction, I didn't hit car, but went over the bars, car didn't stop, probably not even aware. Anyway, got off pretty lightly, broken collar and dislocated finger. Why disaster... I am off cycling and swimming for 8 weeks, so will have just over 3 weeks before ultimate tri in June.

Clearly running will be my main training, but difficult to run for hours on end to build stamina. Any suggestions for training plan for next 2 months

That sucks, hope you recover well. PErhaps you can setup a turbo rig which doesn't put as much pressure on your collar bone?
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Disaster bike crash Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

That sucks, hope you recover well. PErhaps you can setup a turbo rig which doesn't put as much pressure on your collar bone?

WHS - guess you'll be on the turbo and not much else.

i'd have thought if you set up the bike so you can sit fairly upright then there shouldn't be too much weight on your arms until your collar bone starts healing.

collar bone is the one that typically hits the pro's the most when they fall off and it doesn't seem too long before they're back racing, good luck!
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gym a possibility? I've seen some of those recumbent indoor training bikes, should be near zero push on collar bone but still possible to push quite hard on the legs.

Core strengthening is never a waste of time either, it'll help all disciplines. Must be some exercises that can be done without hitting the upper body too hard.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get healed up asap.

As others have said, turbo. Put your road bike on there so that you are more upright?
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, bad luck.
As everyone has said, it'll be the bike you can keep up best of all if you put together a good setup.

It obviously depends on how bad the break is, but as a more positive reference point, I broke my collar bone whilst at uni, and played a fully kitted regular league season American Football game 6.5 weeks later.

Swim is mostly technique, and I can normally get back in after a couple of months out of the pool and be not far off where I was before. i.e. still substantially faster than I was when I first started out. You just need to make sure you dont get back to it too quickly and ingrain poor technique as your collar bone isnt properly up to it yet.

I did that with the break above with my golf swing, and in all seriousness, as previously a 4 handicapper, I've never got my swing back and have been stuck with the poor form I introduced in order to swing the club after only a few weeks (although I dont play much golf either now, which doesnt help).
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for encouragement. At least I am a proper cyclist now.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Thanks for encouragement. At least I am a proper cyclist now.

Have you shaved your legs too? Wink
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Disaster bike crash Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Oh man, heart goes out to you.

A lot of coaches would say your main priority is healing, not training.

I would scale back big time. Can you switch to an event later in the year?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really tough, feel for you.

Gym perhaps? Plenty of options with various machines.
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Matt, especially after all the progress.
In my experience you won't be running much but you'll be able to set the bike up and keep spinning if nothing else.

Heal strong, don't do anything daft.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Disaster bike crash Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Clearly running will be my main training,

Fortunately I've had no first hand experience, but from what I've seen of mates who've broken their collarbones, I don't think running will be a pleasant experience for a while. Even if you strap everything up so that it's not moving around, I would have thought that the impact from running would be painful through the broken collarbone Shocked
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted for you, sounds like your season was coming together nicely before the incident.

I would second the fact that running will probably be very uncomfortable. I recently broke a rib, and it was the impact of running that was the most painful of all three disciplines.

Looks like you'll be doing a Chrissie Wellington for a while!

Symes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Disaster bike crash Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Clearly running will be my main training,

I would have thought that the impact from running would be painful through the broken collarbone Shocked

Yes, very much yes. Plus you can nudge the two ends of bone apart so they don't knit together in a straight line, well I did anyway Sad

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
tommy060289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its turbo all the way for me! Once your collarbone is stabilised you shouldn't have any issue doing turbo sets. just be conscious both when climbing on/off and don't put pressure on the bone:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: