Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Disaster bike crash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Thanks for encouragement. At least I am a proper cyclist now.

Have you shaved your legs too? Wink

Since I have now broken my collarbone, would be rude not to.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People I know keep asking if this is the end of my IM plan for this year. I can categorically say no it is not. I remember a quote from Alistair Brownlee where he said that when he was injured, he was the "best injured athlete ever", he ate the right food, he kept his fitness up where he could etc... that is the attitude I intend to take, I will be the second best injured athlete ever (because I could never be as good as AB)

OK the Ultimate Triathlon will probably be slower than I was intending as I will have less than 1 month proper preparation, but IM Wales should be fine

My plan is lots of zone 2 training on the Turbo, I will investigate exercise to build core strength that doesn't stress collarbone.

Amazingly bike came off almost unscathed, only damage is wrecked saddle and scratched pedal - I can't work out how there is not a mark anywhere else.

I am sure that you all wear helmets, this time, the helmet certainly saved me from serious injury, foam structure behind scratches is cracked through in 3 places and deformed enough to give me a significant bruise on forehead, glad it wasn't my temple that took full force of impact.

KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heal well.

Agreed, you don't want to be running any time soon.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Looks like it could have been a lot worse!

Might be worth listening to last week's TrainerRoad podcast. One of the TR fellas broke his collarbone 2 weeks ago in 5 places. Iirc he were discussing how he was going to recuperate and use the turbo. I think it's fairly well proven that cycling fitness carries over better to running than the other way round so you may find that you don't lose as much run fitness as you might expect. I guess the unknown will be when you get swimming again, so doing the right physio, whatever that is will probably be most important there.

Great attitude btw. I would just go into a sulk and eat mars bars.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when sh*t happens and something goes off-course i always view it as an opportunity to take stock of what went wrong but mainly what i can do to get back on track.

fortunately(!) you're not a single sport athlete and without doubt you can still put in some serious training on the turbo. if you can keep your aerobic engine going the running and swimming will come back quicker than you think.

if you're main aim was IM Wales this is still do-able (maybe not in the time you wanted) but the cycling leg will be the most critical to the whole day - looks like you've got the perfect opportunity to sit on the turbo more than you would normally do. i'm sure you're aware but a lot of seasoned IM athletes spend most of the time on the turbo and not on the road.

good luck with the recuperation!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:
when sh*t happens and something goes off-course i always view it as an opportunity to take stock of what went wrong but mainly what i can do to get back on track.

fortunately(!) you're not a single sport athlete and without doubt you can still put in some serious training on the turbo. if you can keep your aerobic engine going the running and swimming will come back quicker than you think.

if you're main aim was IM Wales this is still do-able (maybe not in the time you wanted) but the cycling leg will be the most critical to the whole day - looks like you've got the perfect opportunity to sit on the turbo more than you would normally do. i'm sure you're aware but a lot of seasoned IM athletes spend most of the time on the turbo and not on the road.

good luck with the recuperation!

I improved massively on the Turbo over the winter, so I am aware of the benefits..... just riding outside is so much nicer, however, by keeping with the Turbo, I am probably not hurting my ride.

I am hoping to get running soon, however, from other people's experience, some are able to run comfortably pretty soon, while other take much longer - I won't push it too early, I will just spend more time on the Turbo

Swimming is probably the biggest hit, but probably the least important, I may lose 10 mins on the swim, which is no big deal.

Trying really hard to stay off the beer and Mars bars
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky mate....
Could have been alot worse.

A top cat 1 guy did some mental sets on a recumbrant in a gym I used to go too, he was at it almost instantly after the break it was his third time.

I have never seen 150 rpm or 500 watts on a screen since, as soon as he mended never saw him again, he wrote me a programme and it helped my speed.

Something good always comes out of something bad, stick at it.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as people don't mind too much, I will keep this tread going to describe how I deal with the broken collar, it is such a common cycling injury that others may find my experience useful.

Yesterday evening, I went for a 5 mile fast walk with my wife, it was a lovely evening, and the purpose was to walk for a bit and see how it was, if I felt OK we would walk a bit further. In the end I felt very little discomfort, so the walk ended up being pretty long. I slept really well and this morning my collar feels much better - so the walk doesn't appear to have caused any damage.

I am about to setup the Turbo trainer and plan to do a 1h30m session - not too hard
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
As long as people don't mind too much, I will keep this tread going to describe how I deal with the broken collar, it is such a common cycling injury that others may find my experience useful.

Yesterday evening, I went for a 5 mile fast walk with my wife, it was a lovely evening, and the purpose was to walk for a bit and see how it was, if I felt OK we would walk a bit further. In the end I felt very little discomfort, so the walk ended up being pretty long. I slept really well and this morning my collar feels much better - so the walk doesn't appear to have caused any damage.

I am about to setup the Turbo trainer and plan to do a 1h30m session - not too hard

One of the guys on the trainerroad podcast has recently broken his collarbone hitting a pothole - there's some advice in recent episodes in there, although of course your injuries and doctors will vary. Could be worth a listen.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Disaster bike crash Reply with quote

Symes wrote:
Whisk wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Clearly running will be my main training,

I would have thought that the impact from running would be painful through the broken collarbone Shocked

Yes, very much yes. Plus you can nudge the two ends of bone apart so they don't knit together in a straight line, well I did anyway Sad

As youth I had my nose broken sparring. The next day I went for my usual 5 mile run and only got a few steps as each foot strike was agony for my nose. That only took a couple of weeks but would think the collar bone would take a bit longer?
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Sounds like you're in decent shape then. When I did mine (now c15yrs ago) I couldn't sleep for about a week. Had to prop myself up in the corner of the bed, against the wall with a spare duvet underneath and behind, and sleep sitting up. I did nothing but try and move as little as possible for about the first 10 days, but then after that it was surprising how quickly I felt better. Fracture clinic had me out of the sling at 2 weeks and lifting my arm above my head.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

One of the guys on the trainerroad podcast has recently broken his collarbone hitting a pothole - there's some advice in recent episodes in there, although of course your injuries and doctors will vary. Could be worth a listen.

Thanks for that - I did listen to this podcast, luckily my injury is significantly less severe.

Turbo is all setup and ready to go, I did a 5 min test and can ride with no discomfort
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had it pinned, or are the doctors working on the basis that the two ends will find each other and knit together? Folks who have pins put in seem to recover much more quickly.

A mate who didn't have his pinned initially had to have an op later in the day after the doctors discovered that the ends of the bone had joined together with a 2cm overlap Shocked
Tahr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Thanks for encouragement. At least I am a proper cyclist now.

Not broken but a grade 1 dislocation of my collar bone, on the first weekend of Celtman training, and the first time out on a new winter training bike beginning of January. I found that I was back riding the MTB on the road in a week, the more up right position and it being my left collar bone helped as I could still change gears on the right.

I was out of swimming for 3 weeks but the phyiso told me to get back at it ASAP, which I did, it was a bit painful at first but now I am more or less OK swimming.

Running has been the big issue for me as I damaged a lot of soft tissue in my hips, just about back at that now.

Best of luck.

Tahr.

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been to see the orthopedic consultant, and news is really good. Fracture is diagonal and just 2/3 of the way through collarbone close to sternum. the fracture joint is displaced by a couple of mm, but this is not an issue as it will fill in. I have a very high degree of muscle around the fracture which is also helping keep it all stable.

I am cleared to run immediately so long as it is not too painful, cycling on Turbo is also fine (lucky as I just put in a hard one hour session this morning) and swimming can resume in 4 to 6 weeks.

I have been warned not to fall over while running (actually good point as I have fallen twice this year already)

Looks like disruption to training will not be as severe as I had feared, and a month more on the Turbo, will probably be a benefit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: