Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Disaster bike crash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahr wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Thanks for encouragement. At least I am a proper cyclist now.

Not broken but a grade 1 dislocation of my collar bone, on the first weekend of Celtman training, and the first time out on a new winter training bike beginning of January. I found that I was back riding the MTB on the road in a week, the more up right position and it being my left collar bone helped as I could still change gears on the right.

I was out of swimming for 3 weeks but the phyiso told me to get back at it ASAP, which I did, it was a bit painful at first but now I am more or less OK swimming.

Running has been the big issue for me as I damaged a lot of soft tissue in my hips, just about back at that now.

Best of luck.

Tahr.

Thanks Tahr - Hope you get your running form back really soon. The more I look at the accident, the more I realise just how lightly I got off - yes I broke my clavicle, but probably the easiest break to fix, broken finger is a nuisance , but not much bother, no soft tissue damage

I am going to do a gentle 11min/mile run with my wife tonight to see how it feels - This may be a good opportunity to change my run to see if I can reduce jolting
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Just been to see the orthopedic consultant, and news is really good. Fracture is diagonal and just 2/3 of the way through collarbone close to sternum. the fracture joint is displaced by a couple of mm, but this is not an issue as it will fill in. I have a very high degree of muscle around the fracture which is also helping keep it all stable.

I am cleared to run immediately so long as it is not too painful, cycling on Turbo is also fine (lucky as I just put in a hard one hour session this morning) and swimming can resume in 4 to 6 weeks.

I have been warned not to fall over while running (actually good point as I have fallen twice this year already)

Looks like disruption to training will not be as severe as I had feared, and a month more on the Turbo, will probably be a benefit

go steady and enjoy the challenge...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5k run done with my wife, running at 7:30/km - no pain, slow run but felt so good
t1mmy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news that you'll still be able to train, enjoy the variety of doing things a bit differently for a while!
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Take it easy.
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort Matt.
hillwall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a bit of experience with a similar scenario and I don't reckon you'll be much worse off. I fell off my bike a few years back whilst training for my first IM. Broke my collarbone on one side and wrist on the other. Needed one arm in plaster cast and the collar bone pinned so that arm in a sling. I was 4 months out when I crashed and had 10 weeks where I really couldn't do anything - getting dressed was hard enough and sweating with a plaster cast on would have been torture. So I had about 5 weeks to train before my big day after a 10 week break.

Firstly, I found with the collar bone pinned I couldn't rotate my right arm so I had to do the swim with 1 arm only.

Secondly, I found with the collar bone pinned I couldn't get in the aero bars so had to use a road bike.

But, the day after I got the sling off and the plaster cast off I did do a 100 mile ride. It wasn't pretty or quick but it did get me back in the game and at least I felt I could finish. I made sure I could swim (just about) with one arm and then just did some normal tickover stuff - nothing more.

Before the crash I was hoping for somewhere between 11 and 12 hours. After, I was expecting 15 hours+.
Surprised myself with 12:44 - roughly splits of 1:30 swim, 6:20 bike, 4:45 run.

So I think you'll not be that far behind. However, I think it is important to go into the first race not expecting anything and take it really easy.

Good luck.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds encouraging. As you're finding injuries aren't always the setbacks we first dread. Have broken hands a few times as a swimmer and had weeks of kick only, and a fractured coccyx one year - still managed a good 200m butterfly that season off less specific training.

BUT usual caveats of YMMV and be wary of pushing the boundaries between being strong and finding solutions Vs going too far and making things worse. Dont be too fixated on keeping to the plan, it's mentally a challenging time too coming through injury.
leahnp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I broke my shoulder I simply kept the road bike on the turbo and just used one hand to support myself during the efforts.
For run training I switched to aqua jogging, my local pool had aqua jogging belts so used one of those for a few weeks.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was my first "exercise day" just 2 days after crash. I did a light 45m turbo session and a 5k run at 7:30/km. Slept really well last night, with no pain, but shoulder felt really stiff this morning, but some pendulum swings and gently movement seem to loosen things up pretty easily

I had a really fun turbo session today, I setup my Tacx Trainer to follow a 23.5mi part of Languedoc Roussillion leg of TDF, and tried to maintain a heart rate of exactly 156 and cadence of 90

Even though it was an easy session, I was surprised that the average power was 236W, and completed the route just 3 mins slower than my PB

I really focused on keeping upper body as still as possible, I can rest both hands on on the bars, which is useful for shifting, but keep all weight off my right hand. As I am suffering no pain, feel that this is probably OK.

Another slow 5k with my wife later today, then Parkrun tomorrow, but no PB attempts.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
when I broke my shoulder I simply kept the road bike on the turbo and just used one hand to support myself during the efforts.
For run training I switched to aqua jogging, my local pool had aqua jogging belts so used one of those for a few weeks.

I did not think about aqua jogging - will have a look at that, maybe a good alternative. I could probably combine that with some lengths of kick work
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A park run days after breaking your collar bone...........

Be careful, you've kind of got away with your crash, we can see your super keen, but common sense beats any coach or training plan ever made.

Let us know how it goes anyhow.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
A park run days after breaking your collar bone...........

Be careful, you've kind of got away with your crash, we can see your super keen, but common sense beats any coach or training plan ever made.

This is a really good point, and I have been thinking about it.

Somehow I did get away with the crash, it was sufficiently serious that the air ambulance was called out, yet somehow here I am 3 days later training at a similar intensity to before the crash.

I am no psychologist, however, it is not the same as a cyclist who comes off in a road race, or training, my accident involved cars and the real possibility of a much more serious outcome. I am also a little confused, I now remember lying on the ground and someone telling me that I was hit from behind, I sort of remember being hit, but not sure.

Getting back into training possibly has more to do with me dealing with the crash than fear of losing fitness (although that certainly comes into it). Is training a type of positive therapy, or a displacement activity?

On a more positive note, I am pretty sure that I am not causing any damage through training, my shoulder is definitely becoming stronger, my range of movement is increasing, I am not suffering any pain, and no sleep disruption.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running comfortably this week, mainly with my arm in a sling, but on Friday, I did my first 10k run since the accident, and ran without a sling - it felt really good to be running 10k again, and I even managed a respectable 4:30/km pace.

Today I ran parkrun, again without sling, and ran a PB of 20:24, 6 seconds faster than my previous parkrun PB - really pleased with the result. I am sure that the collarbone is impacting my run a little, so especially pleased with PB

Collarbone is healing well - I have a big lump where the break occured, but it all appears to be stable and knitting well. Sleeping is fine, but can't lie on my right side

I am convinced that maintaining light to moderate exercise is helping recovery, making sure that there is good blood circulation to the injury. I am doing much less exercise - 4 days per week, 45 mins to 1 hour each time, but on my non exercise days I am doing a lot of walking.

I have plenty of mobility in my shoulder - will probably try a very light swim session next week, probably 5 to 10 lengths to see how it feels

Also really pleased that my weight is not increasing, I was concerned about this, but doesn't seem to be an issue

Biggest pain now is my finger and the road rash on my back.

Thinking that I will be back into Triathlons sooner than I feared
Mungo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB in a sling.... ish.
You sure its not just a big bruise? Ha ha

Chapeau on your pb theres more to come off that.

Agree totally on the light exercise bit, not really sure a pb 5k is light exercise but as long as your getting better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: