Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Alistair Brownlee's road to the IM70.3 World Champs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kienle is known to be a 'slow starter' - chances are he is in a big training block building towards his target Euro IM (Frankfurt?), using this as a sharpener and of course his entire year will be built around the second weekend in October.

Chances are, then, his 70.3 bike speed last weekend was somewhere off his best.

But still a quite remarkable bike performance by Alistair; also check out the pictures of his aero descending - he has really worked on this stuff. Slowtwitchers were saying a better position than Kienle's descending.

AS for the comparison with Graves yes Phil edged him in the 50 few weeks back; chances are this was a training ride for Alistair with his half distance debut a short while after, and Phil is now a tester who probably targeted the race. Phil probably marginally faster though, but if Alistair targeted TT's specifically I'd put my money on him.

Long course may actually showcase how unbelievably good Alistair is, even more so than ITU did - as Fruit Thief said he may redefine 70.3.

Alistair also had a very long break after the Oly's; given the volume of racing he obviously feels fresh, but also if he only started doing the real hard yakka in January then he's a way off peak..... Rolling Eyes

Only thing to note is that the step up from 70.3 to 140.6 is bigger than ITU to 70.3. Remember Gomez won the 70.3 WC off the back of an ITU season, no specific training at all.

So when racing guys at 70.3 who are 140.6 training (which is most of the names at 70.3) he has a massive advantage: the ITU background, and the fact he can concentrate on 70.3 this year without having to manage 140.6 training and also fitting in getting Kona points/doing validation IM's.

A 2018 IM campaign will be VERY interesting anyway....

Oi knee, do one....
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

AS for the comparison with Graves yes Phil edged him in the 50 few weeks back; chances are this was a training ride for Alistair with his half distance debut a short while after, and Phil is now a tester who probably targeted the race. Phil probably marginally faster though, but if Alistair targeted TT's specifically I'd put my money on him.

We all know how well Graves tends to run off the bike too; there are a lot of DNFs in there over longer distances. AB/SK/LS are in another class. Sorry Phil Smile
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Kienle is known to be a 'slow starter' - chances are he is in a big training block building towards his target Euro IM (Frankfurt?), using this as a sharpener and of course his entire year will be built around the second weekend in October.

Isn't AB also known for being a bit of a slow starter as well?

In his interview he mentioned getting fitter and getting more experience.... having just beaten the worlds best and setting a new course record (he did that 2 weeks ago as well).

Easy to get carried away, AB may well move the goal posts for 70.3 and 140.6 in the coming years.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think AB has been managing himself over the last few years - picking and choosing the ITU events (always missed the early ones), and making sure he peaks for the biggies (ITU Grand Finals, Olympics).

He had a very long break after the Olympics; so probably a bit off peak condition at the moment. But then again anyone with ambitions of peaking for Kona would also be in early season around now.

Oi knee, do one....
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like this clip of AB descending, looks pretty aero!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTwrt5vFG76/

Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I do like this clip of AB descending, looks pretty aero!

Just needs to look up a bit, and get that tail out of the wind Wink You'd struggle to find a road smooth enough in the UK to risk that position!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you get a cross wind gust in that position? I would have though that handling is really nervous with so much weight over the front
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a risk but it shows top bike handling skills and confidence - more like a Pro bike rider than a triathlete....

I tried a similar position on a descent once and at 45mph sort of got my arse wedged under the saddle, trying to ease it forwards so I could rise up again while keeping the bike stable was a challenge. I absolutely sh%t myself, frankly and have never tried it again...

Oi knee, do one....
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajford1 wrote:
Brownlee on the start list for Mallorca next week and Barcelona the week after. Seems like a lot of racing. Certainly adds a bit of excitement!

He's out of Mallorca now, focusing more on Barca. Apparently
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
ajford1 wrote:
Brownlee on the start list for Mallorca next week and Barcelona the week after. Seems like a lot of racing. Certainly adds a bit of excitement!

He's out of Mallorca now, focusing more on Barca. Apparently

Is that a showdown with Frodeno?

*rubs hands*
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Frodeno will still race? Macca did an interesting podcast on how the athelets at the top at any one time e.g. Frodo, himself at the time, are able to carefully curate their racing seasons around peaking for Kona. Avoiding any major showdowns that get the media all hyped up and maintainning that all important habit of winning.

Or will Frodo simply brush it off (if he loses) as a 70.3 that doesn't really matter as it's all about Kona?
stenard

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Or will Frodo simply brush it off (if he loses) as a 70.3 that doesn't really matter as it's all about Kona?

Or maybe another convenient puncture, like the one he got at Oceanside at precisely the point Sanders went past him on the bike... Cool
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

I tried a similar position on a descent once and at 45mph sort of got my arse wedged under the saddle, trying to ease it forwards so I could rise up again while keeping the bike stable was a challenge. I absolutely sh%t myself, frankly and have never tried it again...

Not that I was ever considering trying, however, after your experience definitely will never give it a go.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TriSam"]
ajford1 wrote:

He's out of Mallorca now, focusing more on Barca. Apparently[/quote

Makes sense, 4 70.3's in 5 weeks sounds a little mad
fruit thief

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Not that I was ever considering trying, however, after your experience definitely will never give it a go.

Saddle too low, or ar$e too big ?? Wink Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: