Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Alistair Brownlee's road to the IM70.3 World Champs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
I wonder if Frodeno will still race? Macca did an interesting podcast on how the athelets at the top at any one time e.g. Frodo, himself at the time, are able to carefully curate their racing seasons around peaking for Kona. Avoiding any major showdowns that get the media all hyped up and maintainning that all important habit of winning.

Or will Frodo simply brush it off (if he loses) as a 70.3 that doesn't really matter as it's all about Kona?

He did 'let' Jesse Thomas beat him in Lanza last year, getting caught in the marathon. Less ego at stake there though, as everyone knows he's better than Thomas when he wants to be. AB is another matter though.

I would imagine they will swim pretty much together, then ride together and settle it on the run.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Yes, a risk but it shows top bike handling skills and confidence - more like a Pro bike rider than a triathlete....

I tried a similar position on a descent once and at 45mph sort of got my arse wedged under the saddle, trying to ease it forwards so I could rise up again while keeping the bike stable was a challenge. I absolutely sh%t myself, frankly and have never tried it again...

Always think the same when I see the pros doing this, could imagine sitting up quickly to react to something, catching the saddle and generating some wobble ... gives me the willies!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
Yes, a risk but it shows top bike handling skills and confidence - more like a Pro bike rider than a triathlete....

I tried a similar position on a descent once and at 45mph sort of got my arse wedged under the saddle, trying to ease it forwards so I could rise up again while keeping the bike stable was a challenge. I absolutely sh%t myself, frankly and have never tried it again...

Always think the same when I see the pros doing this, could imagine sitting up quickly to react to something, catching the saddle and generating some wobble ... gives me the willies!

... well you might lose it if you sit up too quickly or at the wrong angle"! Wink
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

He did 'let' Jesse Thomas beat him in Lanza last year, getting caught in the marathon. Less ego at stake there though, as everyone knows he's better than Thomas when he wants to be. AB is another matter though.

I would imagine they will swim pretty much together, then ride together and settle it on the run.

Alistair is going to want to make a statement I am sure - I'd wager he'll try and gap Frodo in the swim, throw a different challenge at him. Fairly sure Alistair always had a bit of time on Frodo at ITU in the swim, but he'll have to solo without Varga and I don't think anyone else could lead out fast enough to drop Frodo with AB on his toes.

Must check for the name 'Varga' on the startlist...

Think AB may drop the hammer for this one on the run as well, after a couple of 'just enough' performances.

Oi knee, do one....
PCP

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Alistair is going to want to make a statement I am sure - I'd wager he'll try and gap Frodo in the swim, throw a different challenge at him. Fairly sure Alistair always had a bit of time on Frodo at ITU in the swim, but he'll have to solo without Varga and I don't think anyone else could lead out fast enough to drop Frodo with AB on his toes.

Must check for the name 'Varga' on the startlist...

Think AB may drop the hammer for this one on the run as well, after a couple of 'just enough' performances.

JB dropped Varga on the swim at the weekend so maybe AB is in that kind of form too?
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownlee isn't doing Barca after all - shame!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thought i saw that somewhere ... but interestingly Bahrain 13 put some images up on their social media promoting the clash.

Seems like it was a late decision not to race? Or just a marketing hype thing?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he may have dropped Barca 'cos he's doing the Challenge 70.3 champ event in Slovakia on 3rd June - a week before he does the WTS event in Leeds.

this event will pitch him against Sanders and Kienle again so should be interesting to see - especially as they are having a 20m draft free zone on the bike

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/alistair-brownlee-championship-samorin
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
he may have dropped Barca 'cos he's doing the Challenge 70.3 champ event in Slovakia on 3rd June - a week before he does the WTS event in Leeds.

This event will pitch him against Sanders and Kienle again so should be interesting to see - especially as they are having a 20m draft free zone on the bike

How closely did Sanders & Kienle 'work together' at St George? Obviously they are 'überbikers' in their own right; as is AB by the looks of it!

If AB can stay injury free, he's the next Frodeno, but better. Not sure if that be caveated with, as long as it's not roasting hot?
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Not sure if that be caveated with, as long as it's not roasting hot?

Like Kona

Got to think he will do something about that as surely the long game is Kona.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
If AB can stay injury free, he's the next Frodeno, but better. Not sure if that be caveated with, as long as it's not roasting hot?

I think we'll see a massive increase in the average performance, and he won't be completely dominant. Even if AB is a clean athlete, the testing is simply not there, so the risk/reward ratio has changed and the dopers will need to increase their doping (risk) to compete with AB.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Not sure if that be caveated with, as long as it's not roasting hot?

Like Kona

Got to think he will do something about that as surely the long game is Kona.

He's turned his conservatory into some sort of heat chamber for training.

(no, I'm not joking or speculating)
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey Smile

Be interesting to see what damage a Varga led swim will do to the likes of Kienle/Sanders and whether the 20m draft impacts the chase on the bike.

Richard Murray an interesting extra factor as well.

Oi knee, do one....
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting also to see if the WTC will have bought the race by the time it starts next weekend.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oi knee, do one....
r0bh

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I think we'll see a massive increase in the average performance, and he won't be completely dominant. Even if AB is a clean athlete, the testing is simply not there, so the risk/reward ratio has changed and the dopers will need to increase their doping (risk) to compete with AB.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring doping into this conversation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: