Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Recovery tips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Recovery tips Reply with quote

Having got really unfit since developing lumbar spinal stenosis and a shoulder muscular injury ( nhs only X rayed and decided bones ok, so I had to put up with it, but gym reckons I tore my rotator cuff, given what I couldn't do on the machines), for the past nine months or so I have been building my fitness back up in the gym, from nowt to up to six hours a week, mainly cardio.

I have just started adding strength work, with guidance, but boy do I feel zonked.

As it has been a decade since my ironman training days while I recognise this feeling, it also new again to me. Up until now I had been the tortoise not the hare.

Any tips for faster recovery? I sleep ok and eat ok.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No? Ok, time has moved on anyway. After a write off day mentally yesterday, I am ready to crack on today, and to get back to the gym. Hopefully my body will adapt over the coming weeks! (Without me breaking it again through doing too much too quickly)
Gus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Sloggers, are you talking to yourself again?
Wink

My 15 minutes of fame
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably know all this already, however.

More rest/sleep, quality nutrition perhaps more protein as you've started strength training, foam rolling/stretching to ease those muscles.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

More rest/sleep, quality nutrition perhaps more protein as you've started strength training, foam rolling/stretching to ease those muscles.

i am often surprised by how many people nail their training reps or times to the nth degree and then throw much of it away by not eating soon after, eating the wrong things and or not getting sufficient rest...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Oh Sloggers, are you talking to yourself again?
Wink
first sign of madness apparently. However at least no one argues with me!

Thanks for the reminders, I must dig my foam roller out of the attic.

I will admit the other night I did really push myself in the gym, including a substantial step up in weights work (blame Ejc, I read his comment on another thread about functional conditioning, googled it, and gave it a go, along with my son pushing me with (don't laugh) 40kg bench presses et all.

Yesterday just took me by complete surprise, after careful fitness build up for so long, with the intense splurge my mind was more knackered than my body. Lots of lessons to learn. Fortunately I am pretty much back to normal now.

And, because I had eaten my dinner before the gym, I will admit that I didn't even have a banana afterwards, which on reflection might have been a mistake.

Must remember that my body is a decade older than when I "knew" this stuff. Still another step in the right direction. Just glad that I didn't have to do brain surgery yesterday. Hence my interest in ways to speed up recovery.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Recovery tips Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
I sleep ok

I'm not sure that posting on the internet at 4am particularly supports that statement Rolling Eyes Wink
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Recovery tips Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
SloggingScotsman wrote:
I sleep ok

I'm not sure that posting on the internet at 4am particularly supports that statement Rolling Eyes Wink
Downside to my current day job. But I do sleep loads, nine hours typically, if broken by my wife (behave she is chronically ill and disabled)
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt worry too much on the importance of post gym replacement
anyway, think its more important for those selling protein powders etc. The idea in some gyms that you need to be consuming your shake instantly or the session is somehow lost seems crazy. By all means for Arnie and co the slight difference in leucine metabolism etc may make the magic golden hour more important but not really any physical difference for most of us, other than convenience.

Unaccustomed jump up seems more relevant especially for strength work where calorie burn is relatively low anyway.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
I wouldnt worry too much on the importance of post gym replacement
anyway, think its more important for those selling protein powders etc. The idea in some gyms that you need to be consuming your shake instantly or the session is somehow lost seems crazy. By all means for Arnie and co the slight difference in leucine metabolism etc may make the magic golden hour more important but not really any physical difference for most of us, other than convenience.

Unaccustomed jump up seems more relevant especially for strength work where calorie burn is relatively low anyway.
thank you.

Just getting back into the swing of things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: